Why I Chose Cognitive Science As My Major

    Going into college, I had no idea what I wanted to do. For my first two years, I breezed by, taking my general education classes. While I enjoyed most of them, nothing particularly stuck out to me in terms of something that I could see myself doing, perhaps for the rest of my life. 

    In my sophomore year, I decided to take COG 266, or Brains, Minds, and Consciousness as a way to see if Cognitive Science would be something that I would be interested in, as I had heard someone rave about taking it. From the moment that I stepped foot in that class, I was hooked. Learning about the differences between the mind and the brain, how they work, and the stories shown during class immediately opened up a whole new world of interest to me. 

     What helped solidify my interest in Cognitive Science was how much there was to learn. Before joining I had no idea there were components in Cognitive Sciences from disciplines like Computer Science, Linguistics, and even Philosophy. Being versed in so many different areas of study has only made me a more well-rounded student and piqued my curiosity more. Looking at the Brain from a computational standpoint has really caused me to think differently about what I had known before. 

    I was struggling to stay afloat during my first two years of school. Doing well in something, in this case, Cognitive Science has truly made me believe that I am capable of higher things.

      I haven't fully decided what's to come for me and my studies after I graduate, but I am truly excited to see what is in store for me as I continue my journey in Cognitive Science.

Comments

Popular Posts